Agenda and Meeting Minutes:
Annual Meeting – January 11, 2015 8:00 – NOON
Marriott Marquis, Marquis Ballroom Salon 9 (M2)
Preliminary Meeting Agenda
PART 1, AHB50
8:00 AM – 9:50 AM
1. Welcome and introductions (Carlson)
- Brought to order at 8:10am by Paul
- AHB50 – Mission Statement
- AHB50 – Goals
- List of mid-year activities
- Paper Review Process 2016
- 54 received; completed 209/ assigned 235 (89%)
2. Staff report (Cunard)
- Pre-registration of 13,200, the final numbers will be 13,500,
- 5,600 papers were submitted this year,
- The is the second year at the convention center, and it is reserved through the next 20 years
- The final program is printed at 140 pages rather than 600 if the entire document was printed (300 trees were saved)
3. Section report (Briglia or Bertini)
- Section report was presented by Rob Bertini
- Recognized the great work of Rich Cunard
4. Paper review update (Carlson)
5. Paper publication committee (Gates)
- Best Paper Award
- New annual best paper award, lead author, Brad Brimley, “Guidelines for Traffic Control Devices at Changes in Horizontal Alignment”
- Received the highest ranking by the TCD committee
- The award requires that the paper
- Time needs to re-review 10 manuscripts for publication for this year; will limit to 2 per person; Tim has 16 re-reviewers on his list to-date. Attendees will leave their business cards with Tim at the break if they would like to participate.
6. Committee membership status (Carlson)
- We are not in a year where 1/3 of the members need to be rotated.
- There is room for additional members on the committees.
- Attendees interested should speak with Paul after the meeting.
7. Triennial Strategic Plan (Hurwitz)
8. Discussion of sponsored sessions
- 4 sessions including this committee meeting:
- Session 466 Monday 7:30am to 9:30pm,
- Session 499 Tuesday 8:am to 9:45, and
- Poster Session 590.
- WWD – Finley
- Future webinar topics
10. TCD research update (Noyce)
- Trying to expand our reach into research through the development of problem statements / rfp’s for NCHRP
- NCHRP RFP on FYA – was advanced to a formal problem statement NCHRP 03-125.
- NCHRP PS on TCDs for AVs – were drafted and are in consideration.
- Right Turn on Red Arrow (Sajid Hassan)
- Presented a case study on “Right Turns on Red Arrow by State”
- Only 15 states prohibit right turn on red arrow
- Argues that supplemental signage is unnecessary
- Hawkins – sometimes the MUTCD presents as many problems as it solves. We need to consider what are hard and fast requirements, and
- TCD Research needs and opportunities
- Dr Noyce proposed a round table discussion of new topics at today’s meeting.
- There was interest in developing a research statement on RTOR, David Noyce and Paul Carlson
- Carlson described NCUTCD research needs statements
- Develop guidance for LED-enhanced signs
- Design criteria and guidelines of full graphic dynamic message signs
- Guidelines for sizing regulatory and warning signs
- Enhanced Traffic Control Device designs and guidelines for automated vehicles
- What is the best traffic control device for conflict between U-turns and right turns?
- David Noyce requested that attendees send him any and all research ideas that they would like to contribute
11. Future committee activities
a) Blue Ribbon Award
- Nominated the PhD session, David Noyce, Mike Knodler, Paul Carlson worked on this, and are looking for additional help if others are interested.
b) TRB/ATTSSA TCD Design Competition
- Martin Peitrucha provided a report
- Create and hold a design competition for the creation of a novel traffic control device (TCD) or new adaption of an existing TCD to address a safety problem identified at ATSSA’s Circle of Innovation
- Should this be exclusively for students or design professionals?
- We could select a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner
- A poster session would result from the submissions at TRB
- Approval by the TCD committee in this meeting Jan 16
- Draft competition participant guide prior to March 16
- Approval by TRB and ATSSA in March 16
- Finalized rules April 16
- Distribute 16
- Hold competition at TRB 17
- Host winners at ATSSA 17
- Emphasis on student only competition
- Possibility of transportation professionals acting as mentors
- Consider support from industry for awards
- Would need to execute a separate call for the activity
- Mid-year meetings have been difficult to identify
- TCD has been sponsoring a session at the Automated Vehicle Symposium
- Try a webinar as a mid-year meetings
d) TCD Listserv
- If you would like to be added to the list serve, please share your email with Paul Carlson
- David Noyce mentioned, do we need to update our website? No volunteers as of now.
PART 2, Joint Meeting with Signing & Marking Material Committee (AHD55)
10:10 AM – NOON
- FHWA MUTCD Update (Sylvester via Dave Kirschner)
- Update on MUTCD team – almost fully staffed, one vacant position
- Next edition of MUTCD
- Draft NPA to accommodate new materials in 2014.
- Proposed content and preamble material substantially drafted
- Still not included in FHWA’s priority rulemakings – content can still be modified
- Once NPA is published in Federal Register – approximately 2 years until new MUTCD is published
- Request for Comments on Future Direction for the MUTCD is currently available until late February.
- 5-year transportation bill (FAST Act).
- New R&D provisions added, but no additional funds – money comes from existing R&D budget.
- TAP was repealed.
- HSIP fund limitations
- States may allow different design standards if the road is owned by local jurisdiction
- Connected vehicles are being considered for the MUTCD (near term)
- Shared streets
- Markings – wide versus normal, double line, colored pavement, shared streets
- Temporary traffic control – regulatory vs. advisory
- MUTCD is 80 years old
- NCHRP Update (Derr)
- Handout – TRB’s report to the AASHTO SCOTE
- Recent publications
- Ongoing projects
- Handout – TRB’s report to the AASHTO SCOTE
- FHWA TCD‐Pooled Fund Study Update (Shurbutt)
- Human factors study (simulator) for bicycle signalization techniques
- Human factors evaluation to determine sign messages for intersections collision warning systems
- Lane line markings in advance of lane merge
- International symbol sign study IV
- Flashing yellow arrow cases to eliminate yellow trap
- Rest area amenities signage
- Minimum buffer distance law for motorists passing cyclists
- Warning signs for bicyclists traversing light rail tracks
- NDS/RID Pooled Fund Announcement (Charles Fay) SHRP2 – solicitation will come out in next month or two. Purpose is to conduct ground breaking research using the NDS/RID to advance development of implementable solutions for DOTs. FHWA plans to commit $750K – $1M
- Revision of the International Road Sign System: Progress Report on the UN Project (Pronin)
- International road sign harmonization project
- First treaty was 1909, then in 1968 and periodically with the most recent in 1995.
- Currently under revision now, particularly to include VMS.
- Goal is to harmonize sign shapes and symbols (not standardize)
- TRB Automated Vehicle Symposium summary (Carlson)
- Gave summary on what was learned from TRB Automated Vehicle Symposium, including the NCHRP problem statement that resulted
- Delphi’s Infrastructure Experience from their 3400 mile Demonstration (Absmeier)
- Paul Carlson provided a summary of this based on what he learned at the Automated Vehicle Symposium. Delphi was not present.
- Automated Retroreflectivity Measurements (Ferne)
- Presentation on automated retroreflectivity measurement in Europe was presented
- In Roadway Auxiliary Warning Lights (Faisal)
- Presented failure rates
- Proposed two problem statements for in-roadway auxiliary lighting
- Important Environmental Factors Contributing to the Temporary Obstruction of Signs (Heaslip)